This is a perfectly light cake than can be eaten over tea-time or as a snack anytime. You can also make cupcakes from the mix!
What you will need:
- 240gms cake flour
- 250gms sugar
- 15ml baking powder
- 3ml salt
- 125ml oil
- 5 eggs, separated
- 180ml cold water
- 10ml orange juice
- 5ml grated orange rind
- 1 grated carrot (optional)
- 2ml cream of tartar
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 100ml greek yoghurt
- 10ml honey
- 100ml strawberries or raspberries
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Grease the bases of 2 layer cake pans (220mm diameter) or a tube pan (250mm in diameter and 100mm deep) with cook spray or oil.
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together, making a well in the middle.
- Add oil, unbeaten egg yolks, cold water, orange juice and rind and beat until the mixture is smooth. (I added 1 grated carrot for added flavour).
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites, beaten stiff (not dry). Fold the first mixture lightly into the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Scoop the batter into the layer cake pans or tube pan. (I had leftover mixure which I scooped into a muffin pan). Bake layer cakes for 25-30 minutes and tube cake for 40-50 minutes. When the cake bounces back to touch, it is cooked.
- Allow to cool, loosen the sides with a knife and turn out to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Mix yoghurt and honey and spread over the cake. Decorate with berries!!!
Put the kettle on and enjoy your cake and tea-party!